Solovair Boots and Shoes: New SS21 Colourway
This season we’ve doubled down on our three favourite low-top models from Solovair: the 3-Eye Gibson, Single Buckle Monk Shoe, and Tassel Loafer. Each shoe has its own sort of flair, whether that’s the Tassel Loafer’s irreverent dressiness, the Single Buckle Monk Shoe’s clean punky look, or the 3-Eye Gibson’s timelessness. The only real change in our SS21 Solovair collection is the colours! Along with classic black, we’ve got the the Tassel Loafer in burgundy and the 3-Eye Gibson in burgundy and racing green. As always, every model features the iconic Sole-of-Air Suspension and is Goodyear welted, which means they can be easily resoled.
Solovair Boots & Shoes Leather
All Solovair leather footwear is made from bovine leather, specifically cowhide. This is the most abundant leather type that is used by premium leather goods brands. With the exception of Horween Chromexcel leather (which is sourced from the USA), all our leathers are sourced from European tanneries and cattle. Bovine leather offers maximum value for money in terms of durability, elegance and texture. It is also water and abrasion resistant; but is not ‘waterproof’.
SMOOTH (HI-SHINE) LEATHER
The majority of Solovair boots (including the bestselling Black 8 Eye Derby Boots) are made using smooth corrected leather. Corrected leather is created by splitting full-grain leather, buffing or sanding the grain surface to remove marks or imperfections, and then applying a man-made coating to create a Hi-Shine 'smooth' finish.
To clean smooth leather, we recommend using a damp cloth to remove dust and dirt. For general maintenance, apply a good quality shoe polish or cream using a dry cloth or soft brush for buffing.
Rub-off is a technique applied to smooth Hi-Shine leather. To start the technique, an initial colour (e.g. Burgundy) is placed on the leather followed by a second colour application over the top in a darker colour (e.g. Black). The topcoat is then ‘rubbed off’ to reveal the initial colour below to complete the rub-off look. With time and general wear, the rub-off finish can become more pronounced.
For general leather care for rub-off leathers, we recommend a good quality shoe polish and a soft polishing horsehair brush.
Solovair Boots & Shoes in Motion
Solovair Tassel Loafers — If you want to add a dressy punch to any look, look no further than the Solovair Tassel Loafers. They complete the classical trifecta here with the Soulland Orson Shirt and Erich Pants, plus loafers with a technical jacket just felt right (in a disrespectful sort of way). Added bonus: they’re really comfortable.
Solovair Boots & Shoes Replacement Outsole
Solovair footwear is manufactured to an excellent standard and will provide many years of use, however the soles are made from PVC which is a soft, flexible, and durable material and the upper will always wear much longer than the sole. Every sole of Solovair Shoes can be replaced by a local cobbler. At Wallace we are carrying the Classic replacement and Commando outsole as seen below.
How to Take Care of your Solovair Boots & Shoes
NPS and Solovair footwear takes several weeks to manufacture and when combined with the benefits of Goodyear welting and quality materials, can last many years. Here are the shoe care guidelines to help you care for your footwear correctly. Following these tips will help you achieve an optimal lifespan for your purchase. We recommend all customers to read the General Guidelines section.
- ▼General Guidelines
- 1) Always clean your footwear ideally after each use by cleaning off any surplus dirt with a brush or damp cloth.
2) NPS and SOLOVAIR footwear is water-resistant but not waterproof. DO NOT wear footwear in prolonged or extremely wet conditions. If your footwear becomes wet, follow our water exposure care tips below.
3) Leather is a natural product and requires a rest period. The general rule of thumb is to allow footwear to rest for double the time they were worn. For example, footwear worn for 8 hours should rest for 16 hours. A rest period allows the leather to breathe and rid itself of moisture. Too much moisture can cause the internal sock liner to shift and lining damage. DO NOT wear footwear over consecutive days. We recommend wearing footwear in rotation.
4) We recommend using shoe trees to help retain shape when footwear is not being worn. Shoe trees are designed to slightly stretch the vamp area of the shoe to allow the leather to dry from natural feet moisture of water exposure without hardening or drying in an unnatural or highly creased state. Without the use of a shoe tree, leather upper fibres are susceptible to breaking down more quickly. Shoe trees can also be used for boot style as boot trees tend to be difficult to come by.
5) Repair soles or defects in good time using a reputable repairer. Continued wear of damaged footwear may result in irreversible damage. If your boots arrive with loose threads, DO NOT pull them as this may result in seam damage. Instead, send an enquiry with images to our customer services team who will be able to inform you if these can be trimmed.
6) It is important to wear the correct size footwear. Too small or too large fitting styles can cause leather to rub along pressure points or crease abnormally resulting in premature damage including holes. We do not compare our sizing to other brands and always recommend following our Size Guide. Where half sizing is not available we advise customers purchase a removable insole to bridge the sizing gap. If you are wide fitting, please contact our customer services team who will be able to guide you with shoe width measurements.
Please note, damage incurred from footwear worn in incorrect weather conditions or from poor shoe care are not considered manufacturing faults.
- ◄Leather Care Tips
- For general maintenance, apply a good quality shoe polish or cream using a dry cloth or soft horsehair brush for buffing. Please note, being too abrasive with Rub-Off leather may result is colour alterations. Where leather colours such as Burgundy, Oxblood, Navy and Green are hard to match with polish shades, we recommend a colourless neutral polish.
- ◄Shoe Care After Water Exposure
- NPS and SOLOVAIR footwear is water-resistant but not waterproof. DO NOT wear footwear in prolonged or extremely wet conditions. To avoid permanent damage after water exposure we recommend the following steps:
1) Remove your wet footwear as soon as possible. Untie and remove any laces leaving them to dry separately.
2) Remove any surplus dirt with a horsehair brush or damp cloth and leave your footwear to air dry. DO NOT place footwear near direct heat from radiators or apply heat using hair dryers. This will cause the leather to become brittle and crack. Good quality leather needs a slow and natural drying process to avoid damage. Extremely wet footwear may need to be stuffed with newspaper to absorb excess moisture.
3) When your footwear is dried, apply polish or wax to replenish the leather. Dried footwear worn in extremely wet conditions may leave salt stains which will require a specialist product to remove. .
- ◄Caring For The Sole
1) NPS and SOLOVAIR soft-suspension soles are made from a PVC (Poly Vinyl Chloride) compound. We cannot guarantee the soles are 100% slip resistant and recommend customers use discretion wearing footwear on slippery surfaces or in snow/ icy weather conditions.
2) NPS and SOLOVAIR Classic and Commando replacement soles are resistant to acid, oil, fat, petrol and alkali.
3) To avoid the possibility of premature sole and leather damage, we recommend customers are mindful that long periods in extremely cold or hot weather conditions or contact with extreme heats (e.g. motor bike exhaust) may affect the longevity of wear.
4) For advice on sole repairs and refurbishment, please email us.
Solovair Boots & Shoes History
From small beginnings to the present day, NPS Shoes has lived a product defining History!
NPS takes pride in their heritage and how over a century of experience in factory surroundings has shaped their outlook, processes and work ethic to establish the brand as a great example of British Craftmanship for over 130 years.
$151.68 USD $150.92 USD $11.38 USD $151.68 USD $150.92 USD $11.38 USD $227.52 USD $226.77 USD $26.54 USD $265.45 USD $264.69 USD $30.34 USD $265.45 USD $264.69 USD $53.09 USD $18.96 USD $34.13 USD